Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Boy? Girl?

I checked, Motley Crue didn't sing a song called Boys, Boys, Boys, so you'll just have to think of your own tune to whistle as a soundtrack to this post. I thought about harnessing the vibe of my When It Rains It Pours post, but the song It's Rainin' Men just doesn't seem appropriate for newborn babies.

Yes, it seems 2013 is the year of the boys. Remember all of those pregnant friends and placements that I wrote about earlier in January? We now know that they are all having or have been placed with boys. There has to be a break in the boy action at some point or the planet would be out of balance, but it's getting pretty predictable.

One of the obvious unknowns in the adoption process (and early stages of pregnancy) is not knowing who is coming into your home, never mind the when and for how long questions. "Who?" is a biggie because it's the first thing anyone wants to know when someone is pregnant or planning, "Do you want a boy or a girl?" We all know the correct answer is "We're only asking for a healthy baby", but there are emotions tied to which one is coming for a lot of people. My symmetry-loving friends are keen to get a balance in the family with one of each, while others are terrified of those female hormones in the teenage years (do they really stop then?), or challenged by keeping curious little boys out of trouble. Still, no matter what the response is when we first learn the sex of our bundles, within a very short amount of time, everyone I've ever known can't imagine what life would be like with the opposite sex child than who they were blessed to welcome home.

Before I left for the Peace Corps, I went to a card reader in LA for fun with my friend. I went in with a healthy skepticism and ready to test her by giving nothing away. She flipped the cards and told me I was about to leave on a long voyage, that I would meet my future partner - who would have blondish hair - and that we'd raise two boys together. Fast forward about 7 years and sit me down in Austin, Texas across from a seer who, in my memory, strongly resembled Tangina Barrons from the movie Poltergeist. She too mentioned the two boys.

When we were matched with a little girl last summer, we hoped that the psychics were all just wrong and that the adoption would still be successful. When that didn't work out, we wondered. When we were matched with a boy in December, we thought that seemed more like it, but that one wasn't ours either. So, now we're left wondering again.

I'm not necessarily saying we want boys, or that we don't, just that I've been told they're on the way. We actually couldn't resist an adorable little flowered, blue dress in El Salvador, so hopefully the boys can share it.

Or, maybe our little girl will love it.

We've lived through daydreams of both a boy and a girl and we don't have a preference, we're only asking for a healthy baby. :-)