Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Life Lessons from the Oakland A's and Pensioners in India

First of all, thanks to all of you for the well wishes today. We felt the collective positivity and, to some extent, it paid off! We got word from our agency that T said she and the birth father got his relinquishment paperwork signed with the notary today. Yay!

Her planned meeting with the CA agency got moved to tomorrow, but we're still hopeful that it will happen as scheduled and that there will be another promising update tomorrow evening.

In an endless effort to distract my thoughts, I had the last game of regular season play for the American League West (Major League Baseball) on my computer while I worked today. I've been a fan of the Oakland A's since childhood, so this week's match up with the Texas Rangers was particularly intense. (Why wouldn't it be? Nothing in our lives is a calm float down the river right now. All rapids, all the time.) The story of the A's is awesome and always leaves an impression. (Watch Moneyball, the movie.) It always gets my heart pounding since I'm usually a pretty loud critic of the salaries these guys get just to play ball and entertain me while teachers have to beg for donations to teach our kids. But, I digress. Suffice it to say that the integrity of the team is worth standing behind, and I do! (I'll admit it was a little hard to do that when they stomped our Rockies this summer in Colorado...but I'll forgive them. The Rockies barely seemed to try this year. Ouch!)

Okay, so back to the game...when I turned it on, the A's were up by 1. Yay! Within minutes, they were down by 4! What the?! They then dominated from the 4th inning on and turned it around to win the game 12-5, and the Division Title mind you! Awesome. The kind of stuff that makes grown men cry, just a little. Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

I needed a comeback story today. I needed to be smacked over the head with an "it ain't over 'til it's over" lesson. The outcome of the game reminded me of a quote from a movie that I watched on a plane this summer, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

"Everything will be alright in the end...if it's not alright, it's not the end." It's not alright around here right now, but that just means it's not the end. This is also evident because we still manage to sleep for about 5-6 hours straight through the night. She's clearly not here yet. But, something just has to happen in the next four or five days, right?