Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day - GO VOTE!
 
Most of the people I know in this country have had others in the past who fought hard on their behalf for the right to vote. I'm one of those who votes in person on election day, despite candidates pleading that I vote early, or mail in my ballot. It brings tears to my eyes each and every time that I walk out with my sticker proclaiming that "I Voted!" Really, it does.
 
Each election I remind myself that there was a time when I wouldn't have been able to vote, that I was deemed unqualified simply based on my gender (until 1920!). That infuriates me enough to get me up and marching to the ballot box (and Josh says there is a little march in my step when I go). It's also important to remember that we have many friends in countries around the world still fighting for their right to vote. It is not something to take for granted.

The outcome might not be what you want. I've lived through my share of disappointments as the tallies came rolling in - picture a group of grimy, hopeful Peace Corps Volunteers in the African bush huddled around a chalkboard with all states' electoral count listed and the static on the shortwave radio in the middle of the night in 2000. Still, it is your obligation to be a part of this community, your community.
 
A friend from West Africa visited us during our wedding, which was weeks before a local election in 2006. When he observed life in San Francisco, he said he would always vote for taxes in Niger if it meant that their streets would be paved, their needy would be cared for instead of hungry and their kids were educated. In Niger, he complained, the money just disappears and the people suffer. As you question whether or not you can afford to vote for another tax hike for schools or city infrastructure,
consider whether you can afford not to.
 
Whatever it is that you want to happen in your hometown, just go vote for it!
 
To keep with the focus of this blog being about our growing family, the obligation to vote is yet another commitment to community that our kids will know. I always find myself humming a favorite Ani DiFranco song on election day. I leave you with the first verse of Paradigm:
 
i was born to two immigrants
who knew why they were here
they were happy to pay taxes
for the schools and roads
happy to be here
they took it seriously
the second job of citizenry
my mother went campaigning door to door
and holding to her hand was me

i was just a girl in a room full of women
licking stamps and laughing
i remember the feeling of community brewing
of democracy happening