Wednesday, April 17, 2013

More Talk About the Weather

I know, I know you've heard me going on and on about the garden for over a year now. You've followed along as I liken my adventures in our yard to our enduring wait to grow our family. I just can't help it. The joys, setbacks, unexpected twists and surprising beauty parallel what we feel with The Wait. I had no intention of sharing anything with you today. But then I got this quote in an email from my favorite nursery (plant nursery, that is). I couldn't help but continue the metaphor. The last line just spoke to me.

"Mother Nature is not really a 'mom,' but more like Cinderella's stepmother.
Conniving, mischievous, misleading, and when you think you have April weather,
she slaps you in the fanny with that of February.
Working in the garden under her domain,
she giggles with child-like giddy at slowing you down.
Then, of course, there's Father Time. Don't get me started on him."

And so, thanks to Father Time and his cohort Mother Nature, the tulips and the lilacs and the seedlings under the heat lamp wait for bright, smiley sunshine. And so do we.


This is today, after Monday's 12 inch accumulation melted.
The tulips bloomed under the tarp, and more snow is falling again.