Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Something Special for 12/12/12

It's exactly two weeks today that we learned about our second match on our dating anniversary. Amazingly, after everything that's happened, we're still in the midst of celebration. We made the decision last weekend to go ahead and buy tickets to a concert tonight. We were hoping that the little boy we might adopt would be born today because, well, 12/12/12 would just be the coolest birth date and the last chance for the triple this century. Aside from being neato from a numbers geek perspective, it's Josh's favorite number, so we had a lot of hope. Oh well.

We went to see the band who sings our wedding song play with the Denver Symphony. The name of the band is Pink Martini, and their holiday program is so uplifting. Ari Shapiro from NPR even sings with them from time to time. We've seen them in San Francisco and three times in Denver. Each time, I wait for the familiar introduction to our wedding song. It's distinctive and when we took lessons to learn to dance a rumba for our special night, I heard it over and over and over again. The last time they were here was when we found out Ari Shapiro sang with them. After the show, they host an autograph table and we were first in line so I could chide them for never playing our song, because we're really important to them, ya know?! Ari asked me which one it was, and I answered, which constitutes an interview from the famous White House Press Correspondent, in my book. I then asked him if he ever sings on Air Force One for the President, which means I've interviewed the great journalist.

Tonight, we were waiting, as I always do. They did a few numbers from their holiday album. The lead's (China Forbes') voice melts me, so it's easy to listen to anything they do whether or not you're waiting for a favorite. Intermission came. It felt like a holiday themed show, so I lost hope again. When the second set started, each instrument began to ease into their own section of our familiar tune. I waited to make sure it wasn't a medley to warm up and then they began it en force! I screamed and, as Josh describes it, started to flip around like a sea lion. (Go ahead and laugh.) I cried most of the way through it as I was taken back to our stiff interpretation of the Latin dance in a red dress during our first number under an October full moon in 2006. For at least three minutes, and pretty much the rest of the evening, nothing mattered except that I married Josh and we danced and loved each other. When they ended, I yelled out "thank you!" because, again, they obviously did that for us.

First in line again at the autograph table, I was ready with more conversation pieces. First, I thanked them for playing the song we begged them to play last time. China responded with "which one was it?", making it clear that my previous request (in June, 2011) was not the only thing she thought about when they decided on tonight's set. Next, I told her that when I have their cds up so loud that I can't hear myself, I sound just like her. She just smiled and responded with "I bet you do", solidifying that she will never feel threatened that I might take her job.

So, at just the perfect time this week, we were taken back to a happier night, with lots of love and good memories surrounding us. It was a nice reminder that there was a Tiffany and a Josh before there were expectant parents, and they were happy then. We're trying to keep them in mind as we move through the season.

Enjoy the audio journey back to our fairytale evening:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBvlNZ1xIvs