Saturday, September 8, 2012


Dream a Little Dream

It might have been one of the last opportunities I’ll have to “sleep in” past nine o’clock in the morning, so I feel fortunate to have had it. Of course, I still woke up to the sound of a crying child, albeit a four-year-old. It was more of a comedic tantrum of fitful outbursts and stomping feet than an actual cry for help, the latter being what I’m expecting in the coming future. …And then that’s when I remembered my dream.
It happens every so often (and, unfortunately, these days not as often as I’d like) that when I actually get enough sleep and am able to wake up at my own pace, I have time to reflect on all the symbolism in my dreams. They remain lucid enough in my memory as I awaken, and I can enjoy the show and smile at the allegory as it unfolds.   

For your entertainment, this time it was an action-packed thrill ride involving me rushing to get through some bizarre and labyrinthine indoor water park (think Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Olympic swimming try-outs and Water World all in one building, and then throw in Ikea for an element of extra weirdness, and you’re there). All of our friends and family were cheering us from the sidelines as I cradled a tiny baby (our baby?) in my arms trying to keep her from getting splashed or unravel from the bundle she was in. In my most stellar moments, I was kicking with all my speed through a stretch of open water with her held safely above me; at other times I just cradled her in the warm dry blanket as we made our way through the mysterious turns and sudden splashing drops in the pitch darkness of the watery underworld-themed maze. I remember feeling like I was getting very close, seeing daylight break through as I emerged from the dream. There was anxiety, excitement and an overwhelming feeling of hope.   

So, yeah… can my subconscious be any more obvious? Jung and Freud would be so bored with me! Well at least I know that deep within (but okay so maybe not that deep within), I am navigating an enormously emotional adventure with all the strength and gusto I can gather. And then there’s you guys, throwing me dry towels, cheering, swimming alongside for certain stretches, and just generally helping along the way. Thanks for being there for us, even from the sidelines of my dream. It makes an amazing difference and is often the very thing that keeps all of this seeming possible.